At the upcoming Australian Young Labor Conference, Australian Young Labor Left is calling on the Government to:
- End offshore processing. Close Australian detention facilities on Nauru and resettle any asylum seekers remaining there.
- Commit to never re-establishing, expanding or promoting the policy of offshore detention.
- Release all asylum seekers currently held in detention into a community-based processing system.
- End all indefinite detention of asylum seekers and ensure that detention is for no longer than 90 days unless reviewed and agreed by the courts.
- Commit to processing all newly arrived asylum seekers in government run and urban-based reception centres and / or via a community-based processing system.
- End the policy of boat turnbacks, which violates Australia’s non-refoulement obligations and has led to the deaths at sea that it claims to prevent.
Come along to our Town Hall at 4:30pm on Sunday 2 April (immediately after the Palm Sunday Rally for Refugees [https://www.facebook.com/events/1832769717095657]) to hear about our campaign to turn the page on Australia's inhumane treatment of refugees and asylum seekers.
1 64 Devonshire St
Surry Hills, NSW 2010
Google map and directions